Sunday 20 January 2008

When in Rome, do as the Romans do .... Day VII and Day VIII

Day VII
Our last full day in Rome was meant to be shopping day for me...but believe or not, I did not do ANY shopping! Yes, I am a woman, and yes, I do love to shop, but somehow, I decided that I didn't want to bother shopping in Rome after all. I mean, they do have some stupid shopping hours anyway because of their siestas in the middle of the day. So basically, when Sheila and Martin wakes up, the shop workers go to sleep.

If I remember correctly, the only time we got out of our hotel room was to go eat dinner, and not at an Italian restaurant, but a CHINESE one instead! Yeah, you can tell by now that we were getting rather tired of this city and counting down the hours to return to home sweet home in Copenhagen.

Day VIII
Basically, this was spent making our way to the airport, and then queuing up for 2 whole hours at the Sterling check-in counter! TWO hours queuing up! Can you imagine? I mean, we were able to visit some of the major attractions with a queue length of not more than 15mins, yet at the airport, we were hit with a 2 hour long queue that just wasn't moving. Very inefficient. That had really tested some people's patience though, because we got to witness an argument between a Danish family and an Italian couple, who accused the Danish family of cutting the queue.

Anyway, our plane was delayed in take-off as well, which meant that we arrived home an hour later than expected. Btw, even though it wasn't the Italian national airline that we flew with, do you know what Alitalia stands for?

Always Late In Taking off, Always Late In Arrival

As if to show us what real efficiency was, every thing ran like clock-work when we touched down in Copenhagen: our luggage was already circling on the belt at baggage claim when we got there, our train from the airport to Nørreport Station arrived within 2 mins, and our bus from Nørreport Station to home arrived within 5 mins. Every thing WORKED together!!! It was as if Copenhagen was mocking us with Danish efficiency...well, at least until the next time the bus or train gets delayed.

Anyway...no more Rome for us, that's for sure. Venice and Florence would be the place for us to go when we think of Italy again...but until then, we'll give other countries a go first.

To end, allow me to leave you with this true story I read about an Italian tourist bus driver who was driving a Chinese tour group around for a couple of days. Apparently, he was psychologically sick, because he started to masturbate while driving, in full view of the female tour leader who was in obvious shock! He was asked to stop, but when they were having a break at the tank station, he started to masturbate openly again, this time, in full view of the other members of the group. You would probably find this difficult to believe after reading it; I know I did, but believe me, it's been officially reported so it's true.

I know that Italians use a lot of body language to mean different things, but man...I didn't know that masturbating means "Welcome to Italy!"