Thursday 2 October 2008

I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!

I overslept a whole freakin' hour today!!! And I didn't even know it until after my shower! I almost couldn't believe it, but after checking with other clocks in the apartment, they seemed to be agreeing with each other so I had to accept the reality.

But seriously, I still don't remember snoozing the alarm clock that many times. The bedside clock is 15mins ahead of time, and it always rings (or to be more precise, plays a radio channel) at 08:15hrs "Sheila time". I usually snooze it, then it "rings" again 10mins later (08:25hrs), so I snooze it a 2nd time, then it "rings" again at 08:35hrs, then I give it a 3rd snooze, and at 08:45hrs, that's my real "wake-up" time. Sometimes 09:00hrs. That's the typical weekday morning routine.

So this morning, I only remember snoozing it 3 times as usual, not more. I turned the alarm off at 08:47hrs (or rather, I only saw the "47" part of the time, but then again, without my glasses or contacts on in the morning, a digital "9" could very well look like a digital "8"). I took my shower, came out at the "usual" 09:05, looked at my wristwatch on my dresser (with contacts on by now) to see how much time I've got, saw that the minute hand was showing "05", then had a rude awakening when I saw that the hour hand was pointing at "10"!

Stared at it a couple of seconds more to be sure I wasn't imagining things, checked the alarm clock, and it was also showing "10"! Checked the time that was set for the alarm, and it was correctly showing "08:15" (so it wasn't that it was set wrongly). Woke Martin up yelling "IT'S TEN O'CLOCK!!! I OVERSLEPT!!!" Called in at the office to inform that I'll be very delayed (yes, I told them the truth - that I overslept).

So yeah...I got ready for work at my usual pace, made it to the bus at the "usual time plus 1 hour", and made it to work by 11am. If we could just set our clocks back 1 hour to winter time today, I would've been right back schedule ;o).

It did also cross my mind that if I was already working from home (based on the new contract at work, if I accept it), then hey, I could have just started working while still wrapped up in my bath towel and not panic about being "late" for work. That's something to consider, ain't it ;o)?

Anyway, I still have a few overtime hours to clear at work before the end of this year, so I'll just deduct my 1hr late start from that.

And I still remember only snoozing 3 times instead of 9 or 10 times... . This is too spooky.