Sunday 13 July 2008

Car talk

I learnt today how to push start a car. Yes, I said "push start a car", not "push a car" (though I did push the car too). I'm actually quite amazed at how many guys out there who know how to do this! Seriously, where do you guys learn this from? I certainly didn't have this lesson in my driving school years ago. I'm curious now about how many girls know this. Maybe I'm the only female driver who didn't... . Hmm... .

Anyway, the engine starter in my father-in-law's Renault Megane Scenic car has been having some problems now and then, and he hadn't had time to have it fixed at the mechanic before flying off to Bulgaria with the rest of the gang. I have the pleasure of having the car for the whole week that they're there, and though I was advised about the problem, it wasn't supposed to be a biggy.

They were dropped off at the airport on Sat and I drove home after that without any problems. Went to play tennis this morning and drove to the tennis courts without any problems. Came home from there without any problems either. After a couple of hours, I drove to church, and though the engine didn't start the first time I turned the key, I was told before that I should just keep trying and it'll come to live, so I turned the key the second time and it worked.

After church, the problem started. Engine would not start no matter how many times I turned the key on and off. Would not start no matter how many times I released the safety feature of the car (a trick of locking + unlocking the car doors before turing the key again to start the engine. Don't ask - it's a French Renault feature).

So yeah, the only way to start the car at this point was to push start it, and luckily there were enough men around to help do this. Thing is, I had never done it before (being in the driver's seat to start the car while the men pushed), but luckily, my mum knew the procedure so she took the wheel to do it, and the engine came to live!

Anyway, in order not bore you, I can just mention that we had to do this a couple more times later on, and every guy (or two) who came to help us knew this procedure:

1. Turn the key to the On position.
2. Release the parking brake.
3. Push down on the clutch pedal and put the transmission in second gear.
4. Keep the cluth pedal pressed.
5. When the car is rolling as fast as a person running, slowly release the clutch pedal while giving the engine a little gas with the accelerator pedal.

And so the engine should start. Works only for cars with manual gear, though...and that's what most people drive here in Denmark anyway.

But yeah, I was just surprised that all the guys whom we asked to help knew this, particularly about putting the transmission in second gear. Hmm...I wonder if Martin knows this. Will test him when he gets back (if he doesn't read my blog about this first).

One other thing I've learnt today besides "How to push start a car", is that needing help for this is a GREAT way to pick up men ;o)! I mean, imagine me and my mum in a car that wouldn't start, neither of us are strong enough to push the car fast enough (alone), so all we needed to do was to wait and "catch" the first (cute) guy we see for help.

The guy, seeing 2 helpless ladies in a helpless car, would feel proud to be given the opportunity to help 2 beautiful ladies. This is where strength and knowledge can work to his advantage. If he's lucky, the car would be able to start in no time and he can get all the credit.

If some time goes by and the car still hasn't started, then depending on what time of the day it is and where we are, a second guy might walk/drive by and see that 2 beautiful ladies need help. He'll come by to assist Guy#01, and together, they can combine their macho-ness to save the damsels in distress.

So yeah...single girls out there, get yourself a car that won't start and see how many macho men you can pick up in a day. I'll bet that there won't be enough seats in the car for all of them ;o).

And btw, some say push-starting a car is bad for the car while most say it's harmless (just make sure you have space enough so you don't hit anyone or anything). I guess in general, it's really ok - just not for automatic cars. Check out what these experts have to say: Car talk

For the record, I still have not successfully started the car in this way. I have only learnt how it is done, and was not successful in starting the engine during the couple of times I was in the driver's wheel while the helpful guys pushed, so good that my mum could take over wheel while I watched and learned.

And yes, it SUCKS to have had the chance of using the car for a whole week, but ending up enjoying it for only 1 day. Oh well, at least it's not because I had smashed the car or made some new problems to it that caused it to die on me... .