Tuesday 22 July 2008

Check out my cheque!

Received a cheque in the mail today! Well, for just 300kr (S$79)...but the point is, it's been a long time since I last saw/received a cheque!


In this day an age, I would have thought cheques are things of the past. For this case especially, when this insurance company, danmark Sygeforsikring, has my bank account number! I mean, that's where they pay me back some money for my contact lens and dental services, etc, so why won't they just put the 300kr directly into my account and save me the trouble of going to the bank?

Ah...maybe it's because they hope it'll be too much trouble for me, so I would just forget about it and not claim it. I did actually not cash in a cheque before...as it was for the miserly amount of 45kr (S$12)! The cost of transport to and from the bank would almost cost more than the cheque amount! Not to mention, the higher cost of my time.

I did own a cheque book for a period of time in my early twenties. I actually felt quite "grown up" at that time, whipping out my cheque book, writing down an amount - both spelt out and in numbers, crossing it, signing it, and finally tearing out that valuable page from the rest of its still blank and valueless "friends". And where possible, I would use my "grown up" Parker pen to write it out.

Yes...all those years as a child watching my mum write out cheques to give me so that I could pay for various fees at school (usually if I need big amounts), and finally, I could do the the same, though just for a short time since Internet banking started to become more and more popular. Now cheques are just hassel, hassel and hassel, and you can't really pay for things with cheques anymore, can you? Maybe just in parts of the world that do not have Internet connection for online banking... .