Friday 2 November 2007

J-Day

Today is J-day - the day when the Tuborg Christmas beer (Julebryg) is officially launched at precisely 20:59hrs. For those who don't know, Tuborg is "Made in Denmark". So is Carlsberg, even though I thought it was German some decades ago... . In fact, the only thing I knew for certain that was "Made in Denmark" was Danish Butter Cookies (the word "Danish" really helped), but strangely enough, it's not such a big thing here.

Most Danes are crazy over their Christmas beer, so Copenhagen will be filled with people counting down to the official launch later. I actually don't remember ever participating in this "special" day one single time during my 10 years here... . If I did, then it must have been a very long time ago. I'm not a "beer" kind of person; never was, never will be. Don't like the taste, don't like the after taste. It's kinda like hot coffee for me; same thing - don't like the taste, don't like the after taste (love the smell, though).

I go more for wine and other kinds of alcohol, although I am not a good drinker at all. My face gets red after 1 or 2 glasses of wine (alcohol flush). It's actually an allergic reaction, but usually, if the wine is of good quality, the redness does not come so fast.


Pre-alcohol


Post-alcohol


Since I also get a headache after drinking too much, I tend to stop after I know my limit's been reached. I mean, I do want to enjoy the social night, so why would I want a headache to spoil that? After all, I am able to have fun without alcohol, just as I am able to have fun without drugs.

But yeah, the trick for me to have alcohol throughout the night, is to drink slowly... . Make it last longer. By the time I'm done with my 1st glass, everyone else would probably be on their 3rd. When I'm done with my 2nd, they'll be on their 6th. I can therefore still be able to "Cheers!" with them and yet seemingly be drinking as much as them. They might notice at 1st that I'm drinking really slowly, but by the time they're on their 3rd or 4th glass, they'll stop counting mine ;o).

Oh well, not that I care what they think anyway when I finally decide to stop the alcohol and switch to coke (coca-coloa, not cocaine!) or water. After all, it's my body, so I decide what I want in there and what I don't. Actually, it's quite fun to be the sober 1 at a party since I get to snap all the paparazzi shots of the drunks ;o).


Well, I think I'll do myself a favour and stay indoors tonight. Best to keep away from the army of Julebryg-drinking Danes ;o). Skål (Cheers!) to them anyway!