Sunday 30 September 2007

From summer to autumn

We arrived back from Sunny Beach, Bulgaria this afternoon after a week of wonderful summer weather! A real sun, sand, sea, and shopping vacation. Much needed, especially the sun; Sunny Beach lived up to its name on that one. The Black Sea though, was freakin' COLD!!! Felt like ice water to me, so I didn't swim in it at all. Didn't even use it for emergencies.....if you know what I mean (as in "when you got to go, you got to go" type of emergencies).

The first few days were spent shopping for furniture for our holiday apartment, though. The kitchen was made in time before our arrival, as well as the double bed and wardrobe. That was pretty much it. Not having tables and chairs for the first 3 days made us realise how much we took these for granted. The night we chose to eat at home became a challenge, so we had to do it Japanese/Korean-style by sitting on the floor and using our big suitcase as the "table".

We did manage to hit the beach a few times (2 mornings of sunbathing), and we did do some sightseeing too during the last couple of days. I guess I'll let the pictures do the talking now.


Circled parts are where we were.



Our Apartment in Sunny Beach

Circled unit is ours


Newly made kitchen

Newly made bed

Bathroom


Balcony


Swimming pool (unfortunately, not ready for use yet)


10mins walk from the beach


Comfortable looking bar


Old Russian Lada


Dinner at Djanny's - big portions at cheap prices


Sunny Beach coast by night


Mother-in-law and I


Couple shadow of Martin and I


Picture of the shadow's substance


Playing mini-golf. I won, even though I was 23 shots over par ;o).


No vacation would be complete without a visit to the Chinese restaurant!


Sunbathing...even though I didn't really need it.


Bulgarian dance performance, "Dance of the Wind". Kinda like "Riverdance" on a smaller scale.



Nessebar

An old town area - on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites since 1983.


I can imagine a lot of wedding photo shoots in this old town. So charming!


More ruins caused by war.


This could almost be a picture taken in Thailand... .



Bourgas

Walking / shopping street






At the beach in Bourgas which is close the the harbour, so the water isn't that clean here.


An observation we made in Sunny Beach was that there weren't really Asians around (apart from the restaurant owners). I seemed to be the only Asian walking the streets. It was the same thing when we were in Riga, Latvia, last year. Come on, fellow Asians! We must not slack in our Asian Invasion!!! ;o)


Anyway, now we're back in cold, autumn-ish Denmark. Vacation's over, and the reality of work will hit me when my alarm rings at 08:45hrs tomorrow morning... . Funny enough, I had been waking up at around 08:30hrs Danish time in Bulgaria for 1 week without any complaints/difficulties. Had to even get up at 04:00hrs in the morning to catch our flight there last Sunday! I guess it's a different feeling when getting up to have fun instead of getting up to go to work... .


Oh, and btw, travelling with my mother-in-law (Mil) wasn't a nightmare at all :o). She and Martin's stepdad would like to join us on our next trip to Singapore, so if it had been a nightmare to travel with Mil on this trip, I would most likely book them a ticket to Siberia or something instead of Singapore for our next trip (hey, both start with "S", right?). But no, everything went a-ok on this trip, so no need for drastic measures on our next trip(s) together ;o).