Thursday 18 October 2007

Denmark vs Latvia: 3-1

Last Saturday, the score against Spain was with the same numbers, except that Denmark had 1 goal and Spain had 3. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel for Denmark's qualification to the UEFA EURO 2008 finals? With just 2 games left to play and the need to win both, plus the need for Spain to lose both their games (highly improbable), it would seem that the light at the end of the tunnel is just an oncoming train... .

I was at the national stadium, Parken, yesterday to watch the Denmark-Latvia match. I would not have gone if my ticket was not for free. Though the match ended well with a win and a total of 4 goals, the atmosphere at the stadium was not that intense. Fans wanted a rampage of goals, we wanted to see a better effort from the team (the 1st Danish goal was from a penalty shot anyway), we wanted to see a fighting spirit....but alas! It seemed like the Danish national football team were playing like they belonged to the female cheerleading squad... .

I feel for the Danes... . Of course, I'd like Denmark to qualify for the finals next year, but come to think of it, Sweden and Spain deserve to go through in this group more than the rest. Sorry Danish readers....but if I want to see an exciting Uefa Euro 2008 with all the best teams against each other, then I'd rather have Spain playing than Denmark ;oP.

Oh well, if Denmark doesn't manage to go through, at least my favourite team Portugal is pretty much through already :o). And IF Denmark, by some miracle, manages to go through, then I hope that the history of Euro 2002 will repeat itself :o).

17 NOV will be "Judgement Day" for Denmark's Euro 2008 hopes... . Good luck to the team!