Sunday 28 October 2007

Winter is official!

We changed our clock 1 hour backwards at 3am this morning since summer time has ended. That means 1 hour more of sleep for me :o)! It is however, quite depressing to know that it is now "officially" winter. Sure, the snow is not here yet, but it is now "brighter" in the mornings (not that the sun really shines anyway) and darker in the evenings.

Can't wait till 22nd December is over, because that will be the "shortest day", or "longest night" depending on your perspective. I prefer to call it the "longest night" for hanky panky reasons ;o). But yeah, after the 22nd of December, it will start to get brighter and brighter again... . Not that you can really tell right away since it's more or less just a minute of difference each day, but oh....it helps a lot psychologically.

I've tried before to just keep my bedroom clock at the old "summer" time so that when my alarm rings and I see the time as 08:45, it would in reality be 07:45, which means I trick my mind into thinking that I'm still waking up at the "usual" time but end up 1hr earlier at work so that I can leave 1hr earlier than usual... .

It really sucks though to have my mind in the same body as the rest of my body parts, because my hands and eyes can't even discuss this excellent plan with each other without my mind eavesdropping on them and knowing that they're going to try and trick it! So when my alarm rings at 08:45 (07:45), the "conversation" goes something like this:

*LOUD MUSIC PLAYING* (it's a clock radio I have, so it doesn't actually ring)

Hand slams the snooze button.

Eyes: Damn, it's 08:45 already. Time to get up.

Body: Oh, come on - 5mins more! Pleeeeaaaase?

Eyes: But look at the time! If we don't get up now, we'll ALL be late for work! We've already been snoozing since 08:00.

Mind: Hey! I'm sure you guys probably think I'm stupid, but I know Hands didn't turn the clock 1hr back yesterday like they should have done, so it is now in fact only 07:45! We can still sleep another freakin' hour!

Body: Hear! Hear!

Ears: We're listening!

Hands: Hey, don't drag me into this - it was Eyes' idea not to set the clock 1hr back.

Eyes: FINE! WHATEVER! We'll shut for another hour then. You guys are all hopeless.

Body: Yay!!! 1 more hour! More than what we had bargained for!

Mind: So much for trying to psych me up, huh? Same trick every year, so why not just give up already?

All: SHUT UP! We're trying to sleep!

So yeah...that's what basically happens whenever I try to trick my mind like this. Never works, therefore I've stopped this. Doesn't help anyway when all the clocks in the other parts of our home are showing the correct time; gets really confusing. The clock in our living room is already going anti-clockwise, so I shouldn't confuse my mind further with a different time zone in our bedroom. I like our anti-clockwise clock though - it's so cool ;o). Wish I have an anti-clockwise watch too... . If anyone sees such a watch, please, please tell me 'cos I want it!!! Swatch designers out there, please take note!

Btw, for those of you who can never figure out whether to turn the clock forwards or backwards during the summer / winter "time change" day, here are several ways to remember:

1. Spring forward, Fall backward.
2. Summer = garden furniture out, Winter = garden furniture in (for those who have gardens).
3. Summer = outdoors, Winter = indoors.

So yeah...just some easy word association ways to remember when it's 1hr forward and 1hr backward.