Sunday 27 April 2008

Day 03: Kalbarri to Shark Bay

This would be the 2nd day in a row that we had to get up EARLY in the morning! The plan was to leave the hostel at 06:30, so that we could be at Z-bend gorge early to do some hours of hiking, abseiling (or rappelling) and swimming. Had to do it early because by 11:30hrs or so, the sun would become hot and unbearable.

But ok, as long as it was not to get up to go to work, I guess I could handle being an early bird for a while. Was great to have the whole day filled with activities anyway. Well, lots of driving too actually, but that was when I could catch up on my sleep ;o).


Anyway, here was what we did on this day:


Not very clear, but it is a kangeroo in the middle of the road at around 7am in the morning.


Dressed and ready against the hot Australian sun! There's another thing that would come in handy, though: fly nets! Didn't have that with me, unfortunately. Damn those flies!


Z-Bend Gorge at Kalbarri National Park. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!


Textured nature


An Arab Prince? Or just hiding from the annoying flies?


Abseiling (or rappelling) as an optional activity to do, for AUS$30. We didn't do this because I had done rappelling in Bornholm (an island belonging to Denmark) some 8 years ago already, so yeah...didn't need to do it again (not if I have to pay, at least).


Rapids. Some guys were doing water rafting here. Would like to try that some day.


Can you count how many flies are on my hat? I can see 8!


I love the contrasting colours in this shot.


Tempting to swim in this tranquil fresh water pool after a good hike in the sun?


Well, that was exactly what we did!


Water was freakin' COLD, though! I was the last to get in...but then the coldness went away eventually, so I did enjoy the refreshing swim.


The Loop. Quite breath-taking too. Would take a long time to walk a complete round, so that wasn't something in our program (thank goodness!).


Martin said that he would jump off the edge if I didn't agree to let him buy a Playstation 3. I said "Be my guest." Hey...just kidding ;o). No such converstation took place, so no human was harmed.


Couple shot at Nature's Window.


Single shot at Nature's Window.


HELP!!! Ok, I doubt I'd be smiling like that if I was really in serious trouble against my life.


"No netw. coverage" it said. That's how much away from civilisation we were. Could sometimes take around 2 hours of driving before you see a petrol kiosk! So yeah, you would definitely not want your car to breakdown in the middle of the road at a place like this, unless you have a satelite phone to call for help when needed.


38 deg C....in the SHADE!


I'm curious about the last destination in the west. Is "Useless Loop" actually the name of a place?!? If so, then my next question is, who wants to go there in the 1st place if it'll be useless anyway?


Sandy beach?


Nope...it's literally called Shell Beach! Shells ALL over the whole beach! Amazing...but a little bit painful to walk on. Good foot massage, though.


A closer look.


Martin wrote "I love SHEILA"...but in Australia, it could just mean that he loves woman, right ;o)?


Taking a nice swim in the shallow waters. At least the water was starting to get warmer the further north we went.


Who's this hunk?


Emu in the middle of the road! Getting chased by an Italian Stallion (Andrea).


Trying to camouflage itself.


Endless road. That's what I mean when I say "away from civilisation".


Asian noodles for dinner on our 2nd night.

"Take another picture of me and I'll slit your throat!" threatened Jill.
"Oh, just take a chill pill, Jill," advised Sarah.
The Australian heat and flies were probably getting to Jill, who was otherwise a very calm and sweet girl ;o)... .


The girl from tiny Lichtenstein.


Asian grill.


Eating peacfully / victoriously.


Handicapped spider (count its legs).


Lots of spoons...but where's the food???


Cheers and goodnight, everyone!