Friday 6 June 2008

Mind going blank

2½ weeks ago, while out grocery shopping for tiramisu ingredients, I was at the cashier and was ready to pay with my debit card (or "Dankort", as it is called in Denmark). As the cashier was busy "beeping" my items away and I had my Dankort in hand ready for payment, I started to feel my mind slowly blanking out of numbers. Particularly, my PIN number to my Dankort!

PANIC!!! Well, not really, because I do have a backup card that I luckily remember the PIN number of. But yeah, the only number that kept coming to my mind was my old PIN number, even though I had used the "new" PIN already a few times before (mainly before Spore/Australia trip, and then once after returning back to Denmark).

But yeah, as expected, the transaction did not go through because it was indeed the wrong PIN I had punched in. That was Failed Attempt#1.

On the way home, I tried to think of what my number could possibly be. The thing was, out of the 4 digits, I did remember the last 2 very positively (because they are the exact same numbers as the 1st two digits of my old PIN). So all I needed to do was to "crack" the 1st two digits of my new PIN, and all would be good again.

Also, I knew positively that the 1st two digits were higher than the last 2 digits, so I could already rule out a lot of numbers. Anyway, a week later, I needed to get money out the ATM, so I decided to try out what I thought could be the correct PIN.

Unfortunately, it didn't work... . However, my backup Dankort didn't work on that ATM either, so it meant that there was a chance that the PIN could be correct after all. Anyway, it didn't change the fact that that was Failed Attempt#2. Had to be careful by then.

A few days later, I had the chance to try out that PIN again, this time at the kiosk. I confidently punched in the number...waited...and then came that dreaded sound of a failed transaction :o(. Backup Dankort worked, but it was Failed Attempt#3 on the 1st card. I was ½ expecting the kiosk guy to take my 1st card and cut it up in ½ in front of me, but he didn't so phew!

By now, I was quite desparate. I mean, sure...I could still use my card for payment, as long as it's only a signature that is required of me...but that's just like using a handicapped card! I tried to find if I kept the PIN letter in my files somewhere, but I remember smugly thinking "Oh, I'll be able to remember this number," so I was quite sure I had torn up and thrown away that letter.

Finally, I decided to write to my bank to ask if they can send me a new PIN. How hard could it be for them to just reset my current PIN and give me a new one, right? WRONG!

"Your card is still open, but it is not possible to get a new pin-code for the card.
In case you can´t remember the code we have to order a new card.
Please advise us, if you want us to order a new card for you"


Right... . Well, it was great to know that my card was still opened (had asked them about it), but it would be nice to know why it is not possible to just send me a new PIN (security reasons?), and it would also be helpful to know if ordering a new card would cost me anything. Anyway, I was more concerned about the cost at that point, so I asked them if there was one.

"This will cost 150,- kr.
Do you accept that ?"


Hell no! I might have been uncharacteristically forgetful regarding this PIN code, but I'm not stupid! Since my card was still opened, it meant that I could just as well keep trying possible number combinations until my card gets eaten up by the machine. Then and only then, will I be willing to pay 150kr (S$38) for a brand new card with a brand new PIN.

So yeah, that was what I told them I would do, and thank goodness for that, because I REMEMBERED THE NUMBER TODAY!!! WOOHOO!!!

No, it didn't come to me in a dream and it wasn't like an epiphany moment or anything like that. Like I said earlier, there was only a couple of numbers I needed to play around with in combination, so since the one I was so confident about didn't work twice, then there was only a couple more combinations I needed to try out.

As I had to go to the ATM today to get some money again, I had the opportunity to try out a new combination. I wasn't 100% sure of it though, so was already prepared to have my card getting eaten up this time if it was wrong. I punched my 4-digit code in, selected the amount I needed, and waited... . The machine asked if I wanted a receipt, I punched the "Yes"...and waited some more. Finally, I heard the comforting sound of money rolling in the machine, and then saw money getting spat out!!!

Woohoo! It was the right PIN! Didn't need to spend 150kr on a new one after all :o). Damn, what was the PIN again? No, just kidding - I really do remember it now :o).

So I took my 2000 DKK (S$500) and spent 1600 DKK (S$400) within 10mins :o). Yup...the money I needed to withdraw was meant to be for 4 x Kylie Minogue concert tickets :o)! She'll be performing on Sunday, so will treat my 2 sisters + Martin to it.

Should I write my PIN code down somewhere and file it away in case I forget again? Nah...I'm pretty sure I'll be remembering it for good now ;o).