Thursday 19 June 2008

Tchau, Portugal... . Até logo!

I am grieving. I was prepared to grieve, but when it happens for real, it still feels that you were not prepared anyway.

Today is the day Portugal goes home :o(. They were beaten by Germany in the Euro 2008 football finals with a score of 2-3. I knew they would lose, but was still hoping they would surprise me in the end. They almost did, but it was too little too late, when the 2nd Portuguese goal was scored in the 87th minute of normal play with Germany already in the lead with 3.

Here are 2 of my favourite players from my Portuguese team:

Nuno Gomes


Cristiano Ronaldo


And no, it's not because they're hot. Not really. They are good players, that's why. I also like the Portuguese goalkeeper, Ricardo, but tonight was just not his night.


And then there are other good players like Deco and Simão. Not my favourites, but they're good.


So why Portugal? Well, it was because I made a couple of new Portuguese friends back in 2000, and since Portugal was playing in the Euro 2000 finals, I had decided to support that team. I had never really noticed that team before, but I remember their first group game against England, and damn! They were good! They were the underdogs who were trailing behind, but ended up winning the match 3-2! They also ended up winning all their group matches, thus getting the maximum 9 points. I was simply impressed, so I continued to support them all the way to the semifinals when France defeated them in a very controversial match.


And yeah...it was during their match against England when I decided that Nuno Gomes was my favourite player, despite his temper. Well, most of the Portuguese players have a temper. Probably the Latino in them.


So since then, Portugal became "my team"...and was very disappointed that they didn't manage to win the European Cup in 2004 when they were so close. They lost in the final match to Greece, which was a bit ironic because the opening match was also between Portugal and Greece, with Greece winning that one too.


Now that Cristiano Ronaldo has decided to join "my team" some years ago, I have another reason to keep supporting them, right ;o)?


Anyway....sigh... . Goodbye my hotties :o(. See you all again in 2 years at the World Cup finals... . You guys did great in this finals, despite not going through to the semifinals!


Oh well, I'll be supporting the Netherlands now. They'll meet Russia on Saturday, and I'm sure they'll win, so I am expecting a Netherlands vs Spain semi-final (assuming that Spain will kick Italy home on Sunday). Now THAT'S going to be exciting.

My guess for the final: Germany vs the Netherlands. And the winner?

The Netherlands!