Saturday 21 June 2008

Not for the faint hearted....

Some of you may remember my previous poll in connection with a post as to whether or not I should get my belly button pierced. Well, the results of that poll was:

50-50!


Come on people! It's almost as if I never made that poll in the first place, if the end result meant that I still had to make the final decision. You guys were supposed to help me out here! But ok, I guess you guys are right that in the end, the final decision is still mine anyway. Good thinking, y'all!


Nevertheless, for those who took time to vote either way, thank you! After much more thought, I had decided not to do it....until I saw that my 2 sisters did theirs a month ago! I guess they were my "kick" to get mine done in the end...so yes...I DID IT!!! Last Tuesday after work :o).


Before my belly button lost its virginity. Was just a tiny bit nervous.


Preparing target.


That kinda hurt a little. Like someone pinching you real hard.


"HELP!" I didn't dare look at what he was doing, and thank goodness for that because I would definitely have fainted on the spot!


Click to see the bigger picture....if you DARE!


Almost done! Just needed to screw it up.


But yeah, it was done in under 5 mins. The procedure itself was bearable. I mean, I could feel my belly button getting "violated", but as long as I didn't look, it felt just like someone was pinching me really hard at least 3 times. Well, depends on how it's done. My sister, Tania, said that she only felt 1 big "prick", but that was also because her piercer did it a different way.


Anyway, after it was done, my piercer (who was from Bali, Indonesia, btw), asked if I was ok. I said "Yes," so he told me to go to the counter so he can explain the cleaning procedure.


I got my bags and stuff and made my way there. He asked me again if I was ok, and again I said "Yes," so he began to tell me how to clean:

"You need to use this 2 times a day....," he started by saying...


And that was when I started to feel the throbbing feeling on my belly button...like it had its own heartbeat or something like that. "Duk-duk, duk-duk, duk-duk...," it went. The thoughts going through my head were:


"Damn! I have something "poking" through my belly now! It's something that's going to stay there for quite some time! I just had a needle thingy going though my skin!"


When all those thoughts go through your mind like they were in a race against each other, the mind psychologically switches to panic mode, perceiving that my body had just had a sudden injury. A rush of adrenaline and endorphins started to kick in to make me feel dizzy, so I had to cut my piercer short by saying:


"I'm not feeling so good now... ."


So yeah, had to sit down for a few long minutes (10-15). My hearing closed in on me, I was almost blacking out, he got me some water, but told my sister, Claudia, to go get me some coke to get my sugar level in my blood up (thank goodness Claudia was there with me! My heroine...).


I felt a bit better when Claudia returned with the coke, but after drinking some sips of it, I started to feel slightly worse. My thoughts at this point were:


"TAKE THE BELLY RING OFF ME!!! I'LL STILL PAY YOU!"


"CALL AN AMBULANCE!!!"


"What if I puke all over the floor? That'll be too embarrassing...don't think about it...think of rainbows and sunshine and happy singing birds instead...no...CALL AN AMBULANCE!!!"


Thankfully, the dizziness subsided soon enough. Started to feel quite sweaty, so I told Claudia to get a magazine to fan me, and she obediently did so for 5 mins like a slave would do to her Royal Highness back in Egypt... . No, just kidding. Was not exactly feeling quite so glamerous at that point.



Recovering.

But yeah, after 15mins or so, when I can't really feel the initial throbbing around my belly button anymore, I was able to get up and walk again. Was contemplating taking a cab home, but in the end, was able to make it to the bus with Claudia faithfully by my side ;o).


If you ever decide to get your belly button pierced, I suggest that you sit still for 5-10 mins right after the piercing before getting up and walking around. Just to give your body some time to overcome the trauma a bit.


Anyway...here is the final result:



One thing I'm missing so much right now, is being able to sleep on my tummy. That's the most comfortable sleeping position for me, and I usually doze off much better that way. For the 1st 10-14 days at least, I'll not be able to do this...but I hope it'll be possible after that.

And if you want to know the cost of this: 500kr (S$130)!!! Expensive, huh? It did include the jewellery though, and that costs around 190kr (S$50) already. You'd expect the jewellery to be made of gold at that price...but not here in Denmark, unfortunately.

So yeah, imagine if I had really told my piercer to take it off ;o)! Good thing I got better after 10mins... .