Sunday 1 June 2008

I love global warming!

Somebody tell me again why we are fighting global warming? I mean, if it gives us a fantastic Danish summer like the below, then shouldn't we encourage it instead?

The weather station said that the sunshine hours in May 2008 is a new record. It beat the previous record in 1947 by a good 17 hours!


Compare this year's Danish summer to warm and tropical Singapore in the same week:

Very wet, but the temperature's more stable (as it should be) compared to Denmark's.


Anyway, I hope the Danish summer continues like this, with maybe slightly warmer nights so that I don't have to bring my sweater when I go out in the evenings. It can get too warm to sleep sometimes, but that's only because it's not normal for us to have an air-con at home, so if there's no breeze, then it's almost like sleeping in a sauna... .

With a summer like that, I don't understand why people want to leave Denmark and go south for their summer vacation. I mean, it gets waaaaaaay too hot down south, waaaaaaaay too many people and waaaaaaaay too expensive! If you don't stay in Denmark to enjoy the great summer, then you're only missing out on a very big positive thing about this country. It's summers like this that helps me stay sane in an otherwise cold, dark and depressing country. Sane Dane... ;o).

So yeah, I'm not sad that I'm not allowed to take summer vacations at work because I'd much rather go on vacation to a warm country while it's cold and freezing here. And I guess it helps that we don't have kids such that we have to plan our vacation according to their school vacation in July.

Was out at a vodka tasting party yesterday. It's like wine tasting, just with vodka instead of wine. I woke up with a slight headache this morning. Not sure if it's because I had too much sun, too little sleep, or too much vodka. Maybe all three. But seriously, I wasn't drunk, so it couldn't have been the vodka. If it was, then it must have been the very bad one we had tasted first.

Oh! I had joined my colleague, Shi Hua, at her mahjong club last Thursday! That was quite fun, but I'm still so confused with all the combinations and the different points they get. I do know how to play the game, but not how to count the points, nor any fancy combinations.

But ok, they say it's normal in the beginning, so I will just have to put my memory to the test then and memorise the key combinations to at least get the minimum number of points. I did win the first 3 rounds though (beginner's luck), but then I went on a losing streak... . You know what's funny though? That most people in this mahjong club are Danes...and that it was a Dane who was teaching me the different combinations and rules.

Will definitely go there again...since it's close to home anyway.