Sunday 17 June 2007

The Bodyguard

What a weekend! It had been raining like crazy all day on Saturday, and on and off today... . I don't hope this is the end of summer.

Yesterday's rain from the front side of our apartment

We were supposed to go to Tivoli or Bakken (amusement parks in Copenhagen) yesterday afternoon with my parents-in-law, Bil, Yellow Goddess, their baby son and Yellow Goddess' parents who are visiting them for 1½ months. Well, I don't know if Martin and I were supposed to join them, but Martin's mum invited us anyway.

Well, since it rained cats and dogs pretty much all day, the outing was cancelled. Thank goodness for that, since I'll admit that I wasn't too keen in spending some hours in such a small group with Yellow Goddess. If we were in a bigger group, then it'll be easier to keep my distance, but in such a small group, I doubt I'll be able to take her "oh-so-high-and-mighty" nonsense for even just a couple of hours... .

So yes...we had a quiet and lazy Saturday afternoon at home instead. I guess that was needed, since I was out on my company's party the night before so I was pretty tired after that even though I arrived home unusally early (2am)... .

I'm glad that Martin is the type of husband who doesn't mind doing things like picking me up at the bus-stop when it's too late for me to walk home alone. We don't have a car that he could just drive and fetch me, so for him to insist on picking me up (and doing it) is actually quite a task.

He would have to stop his movie (if he's watching one when I call him to tell him that I'm on my way home), get dressed, get his jacket on, get out in the cold (it can still be around just 10 deg C at night during Danish summer), and walk to the bus-stop. The usual bus-stop close to our apartment is just a mere 5 mins walk away, but I had to take a different (night) bus on Friday after the party so it meant that he had to walk 15 mins instead to get me, and then 15 mins back together with me, but there was not 1 second of a grumpy look on his face. I was the one who should feel honoured that he would go through the trouble to pick me up after my happy partying, but it seemed instead that he was the one who felt honoured to be given the chance to protect his precious princess (me, of course ;oP).

He could have just told me to walk home on my own and be safe, or he could have just not tell me to call him when I'm on my way home, or he could have told me to take a cab home, but no, he always insists to meet me at the bus-stop when it gets too late. He says that he would never forgive himself if something should ever happen to me just because he "allowed" me to walk home on my own late at night, even if the bus-stop is just 5 mins away.

If it gets too "late" however (eg. 4am or 5am in the very early morning), then I ususally just take a cab home since I don't want to wake him from his sleep to come pick me up at the bus-stop. I guess that's the good thing about living in Copenhagen then - it does not cost too much to take a cab ride from the city centre to home - around 130 DKK (S$35), which I know is a LOT in Singapore for just a 10 min cab ride, but in Danish standards, it is affordable enough if you do it just once in a long while.

So yeah, you guys should thank my wonderful bodyguard of a husband for making sure I get home safe so that I can blog and give you something to read ;o).