Tuesday 17 July 2007

Smooth summer smoothies

We just bought a smoothies machine, and boy are we whacking up a storm with it! I know this is going to sound a little strange, but after a couple of years of living in Denmark, I've become allergic to some fruits! It started around the time when I began to get allergic to pollen during spring time in Denmark, and since pollen and fruits are related, then being allergic to 1 would mean being allergic to the other.


I never thought it was possible to be allergic to healthy things, though, so I found out that it WAS actually an "allergy" only a couple of years ago, when my ex-colleague told me that she couldn't eat some fruits. After describing the symptoms she had (which started after she gave birth), I told her "Hey! It sounds like I have fruit allergy like you too!"


So no, I am not alone in this (thank goodness!). At first, I thought it was just my body playing tricks on me when I ate certain fruits, but ever since I found out that it's really an allergy and that others have it too, I've started to accept it. I mean, to accept it in the sense that if someone offers me certain fruits, I'll kindly turn them down and tell them that I'm allergic to the fruit instead of forcing myself to eat the fruit and hoping that "maybe this time I can!"


A few months after knowing what my "thing with fruits" is called, my sister, Claudia, told me that she got uncomfortable after eating apples. "Aha, Claudia! You have fruit allergy too, like me!" Now, not only am I not the only one in the world to be allergic to certain fruits, but I'm also not the only one in my family to be allergic to certain fruits! Woohoo!


But yeah...I've tried various fruits, and have my list of "good fruits" and "bad fruits". Watermelon, honeydew, apples, pears, grapes and cherries are examples of my "bad fruits" when they are raw (no problem if I eat them cooked or processed). I can eat a small number or just 1 slice of these fruits, and then that's it.


Pineapple, oranges, mango, papaya, kiwi, banana, strawberries, etc...are on my list of "good fruits". Oh, and DURIAN too, thank goodness (although I'm sure Martin wishes that it is on my "bad list" since he can't stand the smell and taste of it). There are many other fruits I haven't tested yet, but I'll definitely have to do so in caution with a small sample first, whenever I come across "new" fruits.


The good thing though, is that fruit allergy WILL NOT KILL ME!!! So for those of you who are toying with the idea of feeding me with fruits on my "bad list" to get rid of me, just give that idea up. Allergy to NUTS can be deadly, but allergy to fruits only gives an uncomfortable feeling in the mouth, throat, gums and lips for a short period of time (½hr or so) after eating them.


Hmm...come to think of it, I am allergic to some nuts. More like the "human nut-case" type of nuts, though. Nut-cases like Yellow Goddess, for example. VERY allergic to such....so less contact the better.


Anyway, now with our new smoothie machine, I'm able to eat more fruits in a "safe" processed way! Drinking juice is getting kinda boring (orange juice, apple juice, mixed fruit juice, orange juice again....*yawn* boring), so now we can just buy more interesting fruits and blend them up with milk, yogurt, ice-cream, coconut milk, etc, etc... . FUN!!! And healthy.


See what we made last night!

Kiwi Adventure


With lime juice, kiwis, sugar, milk and vanilla ice-cream! Mmm.... . Ok, I know the "ice-cream" part doesn't sound so healthy, but the kiwis balance it out ;o)! Just like doctors recommend - a "balanced meal". *Hee* *Hee*


Anyway...summer time is smoothies time, so we're just going to play with our new machine for as long as we can ;o).


Oh, and btw, here's more info about fruit allergy for those of you who think you suffer from it too (or if you just feel like increasing your general knowledge): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome