Wednesday 22 August 2007

10 things I like about Denmark

I've been living in this fairytale country for 10 years now, so I think it is very fitting for me to list down 10 things I like about Denmark....the home of H.C. Andersen.

For those of you who are clueless about him, he was the guy who wrote the Ugly Duckling. If you don't know the Ugly Duckling, then go look in the mirror... . No, no!!! Just kidding! I don't know....just go to the library or something then (if such a building still exists).

So here goes - 10 things I like about Denmark (in no particular order):

01. 5 weeks annual paid vacation!!! Of course, if you're unemployed, then you get a year's paid vacation by the generous government who is using tax-payer's money to keep you alive.


02. No need to produce any medical certificate from the doctor if you're sick for up to 14 working days in a row! So please, don't go and abuse this... .


03. It is not a crime to walk around naked in your own living room! You don't have to, of course, but if you choose to, please let me suggest that you get fit first. You don't want your neighbour calling in the animal shelter because he thought he saw a beached whale in your apartment, now do you? Otherwise, at least go and get blinds...and use them.


04. It is ok to spit on the streets and not get fined! Not that I do that, being the feminine girl that I am...but Martin does it often enough that I'm sure we'll be bankrupt by now if we were in clean and fine Singapore... .


05. Good-looking Danish men all around! Every girl's fairytale ;o). The ugly ones are tourists, of course...even if they speak Danish. Oh, and Danish policemen...*drools*... . Ok, I know I'm married, but I can still appreciate beauty, right ;o)?


06. Paid maternity leave for 1 year! I should really consider making use of this benefit...but then again, njaa... . I mean, it's not like it'll be a 1 year vacation or anything like that. I would rather just be unemployed then (see point 1).


07. There is actually a national football team to support during the World Cup and Uefa Euro Cup championships! Singapore never gets anywhere near "world class" that allows me to support them, so it's great to have a Danish national team to patriotically support internationally. If they play well and qualify, of course... . Otherwise, boohoo... .


08. Danish summers - FANTASTIC, when there is one... .


09. 3 months' notice with full pay if you get fired! Well, soon 6 months' notice for me since I've been working in the same company for almost 10 years now... . Told you this is a fairytale country... .


10. Good-looking Danish guys.....oh, I said that already, didn't I ;o)? Ok, ok....ehrm...Danish driver's license does not expire until you are 70 years old, so the earlier you get your license, the younger the picture on your license will be. Therefore, should you ever be asked by a Danish police hunk to produce it when he stops you just before your 70th birthday, you can do so with pride (and try slip him your number too)... . I got my license at age 22 ;o).


Hmm...I wonder if I would get the Danish passport if I submit this blog post in together with my application ;o). Anyway...I hope it continues raining so much as it is doing right now such that there will be a flood and people are advised to stay home and don't go to work tomorrow morning... . Man, it's crazy!