Sunday 12 August 2007

Summer party at Birkerød

Martin's company organised a summer party yesterday at the boss' home in Birkerød (north of Copenhagen....very north of Copenhagen). It's an annual thing, and so far, we've been to all 3. It was raining quite heavily at the start, so the walk through the forest from Holte station to where they lived was cancelled (thank goodness! I hate walking in the rain when I'm not dressed for walking in the rain).

Anyway, the rain poured heavily for around ½hr (like in Singapore) before it finally subsided. Therefore, we could enjoy the BBQ as planned. Mmm.... .

Here are some pics which I made more interesting ;o). I sure hope IT nerds have a good sense of humour...since most of them at the company have actually heard about my "famous" blog ;o).

You might want to click on each picture to read the text ;o)!












On a slightly different note, you might notice that even though Bil works in the same company as Martin and was therefore invited to this party with Yellow Goddess, you don't find them in any of the pictures. It is not because we didn't take any pictures of them, but more because they childishly didn't want to be at the party if I was going to be there.

I must admit that I had thought that way too - that if Yellow Goddess was going to be there, then I didn't want to be there. But then again, I thought "Why should I give her an indirect power over my decisions?! If she's there, fine; if she's not there, better still, but either way, I'm going to be there if I have no other plans!" So yes, I was there, and I enjoyed myself.

"All this is because of Sheila's blog!" cried Bil.

No, Bil....it is not. In case you didn't know, there is something called "cause and effect".

Cause: Yellow Goddess making stupid demands that if Martin and I want to go visit their Golden Palace, then I should personally call Her Majesty, lick her toes, and ask her for the Golden Invitation.

Effect: I tell the whole damn world about it! And then some.

So please... . No stupid demands would most likely mean no blog...but then again, I'm actually glad to be able to kick start this blog because this is FUN!!!

I'll end with a quote from The Matrix Reloaded - the conversation between Merovingian (the computer program created by the Matrix) and his wife, Persephone (played by Monica Bellucci) after she betrayed him, but only because he betrayed her first (with another woman):

Persephone: Where are you going?

Merovingian: Please, ma cherie. I have told you. We are all victims of causality. I drank too much wine, I must take a piss. Cause and effect.
[leaves to meet girl in the washroom]

[Merovingian, coming out of the washroom and seeing that Persephone had betrayed him]:

Merovingian: Oh my god Persephone, how could you do this? You betrayed me.

Persephone: Cause and Effect, my love.

Merovingian: Cause? There is no cause for this. What cause?

Persephone: What cause? How about the lipstick you're still wearing?

Merovingian: Lipstick? Lipstick? Heh, what craziness are you talking about woman? There is no lipstick. [checks his face]

Persephone: She wasn't kissing your face, my love.


So yeah....some people just choose to be blind to the cause, and act all surprised when the effect hits them.


And no - me not saying "Congratulations" to her is not a "cause of all this" either, since she ain't too good at saying a rightfully deserved "Thank you" to me herself when I helped them save almost 2,000 DKK (S$500) by booking hotels for them in Italy and England with my special staff rates... .


If I had made peace with my "enemy" whom I had a bad history with before, and he/she helps me out 1 day and I benefit from it, what do I do? I make absolutely sure to show my appreciation so that I don't give him/her the wrong idea that I was just using him/her for my own benefit!


So did I hear a simple word of thanks? From Bil, yes, but from Yellow Goddess??? No. Instead, I felt totally ignored by her while at a common friend's BBQ just 2½ weeks after their wonderful trip, such that even my Singaporean friend who was visiting me and was there at the BBQ said he could feel a kind of iciness between us. I didn't even know what I did to the Ice Queen then, and still don't. And just when I thought things were starting to warm up between us.


Therefore, what gave her the right to get angry at me for not saying "Congratulations" in regards to her big belly 8 months later??? After all, what goes around, comes around, doesn't it?


Difference in the above 2 scenerios: I didn't make stupid demands from her because of her lack of manners... . I moved on, and I perhaps even became wiser in judging who's sincerely asking for my help (people I call "friends"), and who's just out to use me for their own benefit (yes, Bil actually kept coming back to ask me to help them book more hotels with my staff rates, both in Spain and then later in Hong Kong....but I didn't manage to book those for them).


"Congratulations" is a wonderful word to say, but it is not obligatory.

"Thank you" is a wonderful word to say too, and it is obligatory after a good deed has been done to you (and it can even go a very long way).


Sorry...I know I said that I would end after the Matrix Reloaded quote, but I just needed to iron things out a little bit more. So for real now: over and out!


Roger that.